Monday, April 27, 2020

Steven Taylor - Why I Started Taylor Equities

Steven Taylor of Taylor Equities with his family at the Walk to End Alzheimer's

As an established real estate professional in Los Angeles, I am often asked by young entrepreneurs how I got my start. Starting my own company was a journey, but now I have years of experience working in the California market, with over $500 million in real estate transactions under my belt. I hope sharing my experience of why I started Taylor Equities, and what it has been like running my own family business, can inspire other young professionals entering the market.
My journey to starting Taylor Equities began just out of college. After graduating from the University of California Santa Barbara, I decided to move back to Los Angeles. At the time, I didn’t have any money, and I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I began considering industries in which I could get started without any capital. A member of my family who I looked up to suggested real estate may be a good place for me to start. Hoping to establish myself, I set out to find my first job as a real estate broker. 
On my search to becomea broker, I knew it was important for me not only to find a job, but to find a mentor who I could align myself with. After considering my options, I was lucky to receive offers from several different big companies. In one of these meetings, I met David at Daum. I knew immediately that he would have a huge influence on my career. It was clear that he was a professional with much to teach me -- but also that he cared about me as a person. I started working with him in industrial real estate, and we ultimately ended buying property together and becoming partners. Having a mentor to guide me in my development as an entrepreneur was an essential part of my early career. We remain friends to this day.
I entered the industry as a competitive and eager young broker. In addition to my mentorship, my drive and passion helped me excel early in my career. At only 24 years old, I purchased my first real estate property. In just a few days, I was able to flipit, sell it, and make a large profit. The fact that I was able to pull this off, with very little industry experience, was a miracle. It was in honor of this first deal that I named my company Ness Holdings. “Ness” means “miracle” in Hebrew. That initial flip was the miracle that gave me the profit to start my first company.
In 2008, I was proud to establish Ness Holdings Inc., a private equity real estate investment fund. After spending some years as a broker, I decided to transition to the principle side of the business. I was able to raise a fund, and after I sold out, I started buying on my own.
As I was working in the industry and beginning to grow my family, I learned that I was navigating two worlds. Both parts of my life require extensive care, time, and energy, and never wanted to sacrifice one for the other. I strove to be present with my family when I was at home, and present in my work when I was at the office. Reaching the goal of starting my own family office helped me achieve balance between a successful career and a family life.
Taylor Equities, my family-run business, was established in 2013. We acquire value-add multi-family properties. To this day, I still personally manage the portfolio, and I am responsible for all major operational and investment activity. While I am proud of many of my accomplishments, reaching that personal goal and starting Taylor Equities will always be one of my greatest achievements. -Steven Taylor



No comments:

Post a Comment